If you are planning to sell your home in the near future, you want to make sure both you and your home are prepared. To sell your home faster and for more money, avoid these 10 things that turn off home buyers:
1. Poor Curb Appeal – Curb appeal provides your home’s first impression to potential buyers. Spruce up the yard before putting the house on the market. Trim the trees and freshen up the flower beds with fresh mulch.
2. Odors – Odors are huge turn off for buyers. If you are a smoker, consider smoking outdoors while attempting to sell your house. Also, hide away pet toys, bowls, etc. Vacuum and clean regularly so that the home does not smell of cigarette, pet, or kitchen odors.
3. Outdated Fixtures and Appliances – A potential home buyer does not often want the added expense of having to purchase new ceiling fans, light fixtures or kitchen appliances immediately after moving in. If your appliances are old or outdated, consider putting in new ones – this can help your home sell faster and for more money.
4. Wallpaper – Wallpaper is usually very outdated and personalized to the present owner’s tastes. Chances are most buyers would want to remove it entirely which can be a big, time consuming job.
5. Bright/ Unique Paint Colors – A lot of people prefer neutral paint tones as it brightens the room and matches more decor. Having to paint over dark or really bright colors can be a tedious task that many potential buyers would rather not bother with.
6. Carpet Stains – One of the top updates that a home seller can do before putting their house on the market is replacing or cleaning the carpets.
7. Personal Items – Having a lot of personal items and family photos out on display can make it hard for potential buyers to picture themselves in the home. It’s suggested that you put many away so home buyers can more easily imagine their family living there.
8. Dirt, Grime and Filth – If your home is on the market, it should sparkle! Home owners need to give the house a once over deep clean. Pay especially close attention to cleaning the kitchens and bathrooms. Buyers are turned off by dirty showers and tubs.
9. Clutter – Clean off the bookshelves and clean out the closets. Remove extra items from counter tops in the kitchen and bathrooms. By doing this, it will appear as if there is a lot more room and storage in the home.
10. Seller Stays Home – It makes potential home buyers extremely uncomfortable when the seller stays home during the showing. Buyers do not feel at ease talking about their likes, dislikes and concerns while the home owner is present. They also often feel very rushed due to feeling uncomfortable. Hanging around during the showings on your home is doing yourself a disservice.
Questions about selling your home? Call or text Eric Lowry at 513-368-3751